“On 2018-09-01 at about 18:00 an unknown adult coloured male dressed in blue denim jeans, royal blue and black jacket with black sneakers approached the victim, a female age eight years old and her grandmother with a proposal to have the child participate in an activity at N1 City Mall, Goodwood,” police spokesperson Noloyiso Rwexana said.
“The grandmother agreed and they walked together. They approached a garage and the suspect gave the grandmother money to buy food and drinks. She went into the shop, leaving the child with the suspect. With her return from the shop, they were gone.”The suspect walked with the child along the railway line, from Goodwood to Century City where she managed to pull away from him and went to search for help. The suspect managed to escape. Identity of the suspect remains unknown at this stage. Images from surveillance cameras was obtained. Goodwood case of Abduction was opened and investigated by Warrant Officer Jaftha stationed at Bellville FCS. Any information may be directed to him on (021) 590 1001 or 082 522 1095,” Rwexana said.
Safety tips for children
* Never walk alone to and from school.
* Always walk in a group or accompanied by an adult.
* Never get into a vehicle of a stranger or accept any money from strangers.
* Report any unusual or suspect vehicles or adults loitering around home or school to an adult.
* Should any child find themselves in a situation where they have been approached by a suspect adult, they should run away, scream if necessary and report the matter to an adult immediately.